Geothermal Heat Pumps: 400% Efficient

Geothermal heat pumps are four times more efficient than standard heat pumps saving energy and saving you money!

What constitutes a heat pump?

A heat pump is any machine that removes heat from one area and moves it to another. You may be surprised but a number of household devices are actually heat pumps including refrigerators and air conditioning units. Refrigerators remove any existing heat from the inside and pull it outside using energy; this is why the back of your refrigerator is hot!

What makes a geothermal heat pump so efficient?

An air source heat pump utilizes the outside air which has a extremely wide range of temperatures. On the other hand, a geothermal heat pump uses the air from below the earth’s surface which remains at a much more constant temperature (between 45 and 65 degrees based on location).  A traditional air source heat pump uses energy to cool or heat the external air depending on the season making it less efficient.  A geothermal heat pump does not have to generate energy, it instead transfers heat from the ground.

How can the efficiency exceed 100%?

Many traditional heat pumps are 94% efficient.  This means that 94% of the energy is used to pull out the heat, but the other 6% is used to run the actual pump.  By transferring energy a geothermal heat pump becomes exponentially more efficient.  When a geothermal heat pump consumes one unit of energy to operate, it transfers 4 units of energy in return.  In other words, a geothermal heat pump has a payback rate of 400%.  This efficiency results in dramatic savings in energy bills, up to 70%!

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to TwitterAdd to Newsvine

Comments (5)


  1. I’ve recently started a blog, the info you supply on this website has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all your time & work.

    • cgarth says:

      Thanks for the comment Bruno! I’m so glad our content was helpful. We are constantly adding new articles so keep checking back! Also, what is your blog site, we’d love to check it out!

  2. Arch says:

    Glad to see this new site. I have bookmarked it for the future.

    Take Care

    • cgarth says:

      Thanks for the comment Arch! We appreciate your feedback. Keep checking out the site as we are constantly updating articles and if there are any topics you would like to see on the site that we haven’t covered, let us know!

  3. Arch says:


    I love the site! I just want to know more about who owns it
    and who runs it. I have been in the energy game since the
    70s. I know how nasty it can get.

    Take Care

Leave a Reply